Thursday, October 7, 2010

Butterfly Birthday Party

Anna Birthday invatation was created in photo shop by my husband and I.  I told him what I wanted and he created it.  Such a good husband!  We used some of the free digital scrapbooking images over at the Shappy Princess
My Little butterfly Princess.  I made this tutu using this tutorial I found on YouTube. 

I also made her headband from lingerie lace I found at a fabric store.  The flower was from a craft store.  I took out the center of the flower and added a crystal scrap booking brad.  I bought the tank top and added a butterfly iron-on.
This flower wreath was so easy, and the best part was that it only cost me $6.00 to make.  I went to the dollar store and picked up a wreath and five bunches of the same color flowers.  I took all of the flowers off the stems and just hot glued them right on to the wreath, easy as pie. 
I got the idea for this butterfly tree from the TomKat Studio.  I cut a branch from my friends tree (Thanks Jessica) and spray painted it white.  I made the butterfly's by folding tissue paper accordion style and tying it in the middle with a black pipe cleaner.  I was very pleased with myself when it was all said and done.

I wanted to create the feel of butterfly's in a net.  I used the extra tulle for my tutu project and simply tied it to the light.  I got butterfly's from the craft store that had clips on the back.  I clipped the butterfly's to the tulle and presto instant decorations. 

For the pom poms I followed Martha Stewart's tutorial Here.  I just made half of the pom pom so it would look like a flower on the wall. 

I LOVE the way Anna's butterfly cake turned out.  My very smart sister helped me figure out how to make this cute thing.  Use a whole cake mix and bake it in a 12 inch round cake pan.  Once it is cool cut it in half and flip the outsides in.  Cut the wings to shape them.  We used the extra cake from the wings to make the body of the butterfly. Frost with icing a few times and freeze.  It is definitely better to decorate a frozen cake.  Lesson learned.  My sis yet again amazed me by coming up with a way to get the sprinkles perfectly in place.  She created a stencil out of paper and then laid it down on the cake.  So ingenious.

Oh, yes and then there was the food.  Chocolate butterfly's I made with chocolate forms.  Dark chocolate and strawberry.  Yum Yum.  I think I ate most of these myself!

'Fruit tray'  Peach, grapefruit and butterfly gummies.

Chocolate dipped Oreos.  I got a flower mold from Michales.  Orange and pink chocolate melts from Michales also.  The tricky part was getting the two different colors do to run together.  I did that by melting the chocolate in a plastic bag and cutting a small hole in the tip of the bag.  I squeezed the chocolate in to just the flower part of the mold then put it in the freezer for 5 minutes.  Once the chocolate was good a solid I did the same thing with the second color and pressed on the Oreo and froze for 5 more minutes.  These were really good but didn't really get eaten.  My Husband said that they were too pretty to eat.

Sweet little smash cake, made the same way as the big cake.

I am not much of a chef so I decided to just make some of Anna's favorite foods.  Mac and cheese using Velveeta cheese.  Fruit cor bobs, cheese bread and salad.  I was excited to find some Izzys sodas that matched my Orange and pink theme to nicely. 
Birthday girl Anna enjoying her first birthday cake.
Me and my ONE YEAR OLD! 


5 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, that is sooo cute!! I love all your darling decor and party snacks:)
    I'd love for you to come by and check out the fun giveaway going on right now!
    http://justsewsassy.com/2010/10/04/tuesday-tutorial-halloween-ribbon-ornaments-giveaway/

    ReplyDelete
  2. That flower wreath is awesome! Love all the butterflies!
    ~Kimberlee
    www.TheSpunkyDiva.blogspot.com
    200 Follower Giveaway in Progress

    ReplyDelete
  3. the decorations are precious! i love the wreath, especially!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm dying from the cute overload! How pink and delicious is this party? It's only overshadowed by your pink and delicious little dollop of a daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Audrey - Gracey here from Helpful Info for Newbies - you didn't leave me any contact info, so I've answered your question in the comments section on getting the transparent header.

    ReplyDelete